A contracture is the permanent shortening of a muscle, and develops when your connective tissue becomes less flexible. The result is a limited range of motion and difficulty moving or extending the affected region on the body. Causes of contractures include:
- Scarring (from an injury or burn)
- Diseases (such as muscular dystrophy or cerebral palsy)
- Central nervous system diseases such as polio
Knee contractures can severely limit a resident’s mobility and can also be a source of pain. BRODA features chairs specifically designed to deal with knee contractures:
- Elite 85V with the Contracture Sling option (Model 85C)
- 30VT Semi Recliner with Contracture Sling option (Model 30CT)
BRODA chairs with contracture slings allow residents to be seated upright, reducing pressure sores, and helping them to actively engage and communicate with other residents and staff – improving overall quality of life.